Saturday, June 3

Elizabethtown

deeplyshallow
Aah, Elizabethtown. Well there’s a first for everything. I honestly don’t know if I love this film or if I don’t. It’s not as simple as it sounds, honestly. I just think I love it, okay I love the story, I think, not the actual film. Ok, I really don’t know.

What don’t I like? First and foremost lets get the obvious out of the way. I don’t like Kirsten Dunst I just don’t and nothing will persuade me to really love a Kirsten Dunst film. I don’t think she’s a good actress and I find her just … eugh. And really what’s going on with the finger camera? What else? Um… Orlando Bloom, I used to really like him (you know when I saw him in Sheffield) but now, I’m not sure. His accent was awful, it really was, I don’t know how people from Oregon talk but, I don’t think it’s like that. Also, his acting is just plain awful. There were also parts that I just didn’t understand, like his life had been glazed over. There’s also the strange sense that I’ve seen this film before, but in a different state and better.

So now you’re probably thinking ‘I thought she said that she liked this film a little’. Well I did, so hang on. I liked Susan Sarandon, in fact allow me to be frank I love Susan Sarandon a lot, she can be in a crap film and make her parts seem like it’s the best film I’ve ever watched. You want proof? Watch… well, watch this film! This film made me cry a lot, and films I don’t like don’t make me cry. It simply touched a nerve I didn’t realise was so sensitive or even there. Probably the biggest reason I loved this film was because it’s a Cameron Crowe film his films no matter how unbelievable have a touch of reality and beauty somewhere in them (see Jerry Maguire or Almost Famous). But the biggester reason is the music, I honestly if you put together a really good soundtrack you don’t notice the rubbish storyline (proof? The OC, this season). But I suppose that’s what Cameron Crowe is good at.
I think I’ve worked it out. How could I of really loved Elizabethtown? Different actors, more depth and maybe a little more heartfelt. But then surely I’d just be sat watching Garden State?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...