Saturday, January 20

Factory Girl




I have been obsessed with the 'Swinging Sixties' from a very young age, whenever the chance came to do a project on the decade I most certainly welcomed it, whether it was music, engineering, art and most significantly fashion (I had to make an item of clothing inspired by the Sixties for my final mark in a class). For this reason, out of all the recent biopic films, I have been itching to see 'Factory Girl' the story of Edie Sedgwick.

So much controversy has surrounded this film, Bob Dylan suing, Sienna Miller being hired fired and re-hired, Lou Reed slamming the creators, a Sony Pictures lawsuit and the recent revelations from Edie's brother Johnathan about her relationship with Bob Dylan. You'd either think it had to be truly fabulous or a complete anti-climax. Well, to those well read on Edie's life it's most likely to be the latter as it skims over a few details of her life, pretty much focusing on her relationships with Andy Warhol (played by Guy Pierce) and with the Bob Dylan character 'Billy Quinn' (played by Hayden Christensen). The film certainly plays up to the supposed glamorous, drugged-up and troubled lifestyle of the socialite and the die-hard fans aren't liking that too much.

What about me? Well, I don't know too much about Edie (she's not really the sort of person you learn about in history lessons)so watching it with an open-mind and a vague idea of her background I wasn't setting myself up to watch the fabulously dramatic story of someones life. Possibly because of this I enjoyed the film a lot more than if I knew what to expect, does that make sense?

I loved Guy Pierce as Andy Warhol, the unfeeling emptiness which comes across in Warhol's interviews and photo's is, in my opinion, portrayed fantastically and yet he still manages to appear deep and troubled at the same time. Sienna Miller, whose public life I'm not a fan of, I thought was really quite good; the accent wasn't at all awful and the acting was very believable, although I'm not too sure about that Oscar nomination. The part that's probably come under the most scrutiny is the part of 'Billy Quinn', a political folk-singer (ring any bells?) played by Hayden Christensen. Based on the idea that Hayden's character is fictional, he plays his part well. I'm possibly completely biased as he's my number one celebrity crush - but I enjoyed his performance, I loved his accent and he was believable as the more realistic and responsible person in Edie's life. I do confess, however that at times I cringed at a couple of his line, but that's not really his fault, is it?

Possibly my only criticism at this point, (I may re-watch to find more) is that the sex scene dragged on a little bit for me, bordering on voyeurism, and becoming boring and un-sexy (yes, I had enough time to decide that. Nevertheless, I really did enjoy the film I was pleasantly surprised by all three of the main actors and it has certainly encouraged my already large interest in the sixties - I watched it for the clothes and ended up enjoying the entire film, make of that as you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...