Sunday, February 18

Killing Us Softly

Advertising's Image of Women

I know everyone thinks I'm on a feminist power trip at the moment, but that's so far away from the truth. The only way I can explain how I feel when I keep posting videos such as these is by saying that I was bullied because of my appearance. I'm not trying to make you feel sorry for me, I'm just saying that because I'm proud about how far I've come since then.

Jean Kilbourne's pioneering work helped develop and popularize the study of gender representation in advertising. Her award-winning Killing us Softly films have influenced millions of college and high school students across two generations and on an international scale. In this important new film, Kilbourne reviews if and how the image of women in advertising has changed over the last 20 years.

With wit and warmth, Kilbourne uses over 160 ads and TV commercials to critique advertising's image of women. By fostering creative and productive dialogue, she invites viewers to look at familiar images in a new way, that moves and empowers them to take action

2 comments:

  1. Hey sw! I remember seeing her first "Killing Us Softly" in high school! Gah, I'm so old. :P

    Great clip! Thanks!!

    Jen76

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're not old Jen!
    I wish I could post the whole thing it's so interesting to watch.
    Thank you for taking a look at my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...