Friday, March 30

Alpha Dog



How did a crime with this many witnesses go so far?
A drama based on the life of Jesse James Hollywood, a drug dealer who became one of the youngest men ever to be on the FBI's most wanted list.


Without trying to give much away I'll try to explain the plot a little better; Basically Johnny Truelove (Emile Hirsch) , is a drug dealer and in order to settle an unpaid debt he and his friends kidnap Zack Mazursky (Anton Yelchin), the brother of the person who owes him, on a whim. After that it all unexpectedly spirals out of control.

This film was ok. For the first quarter of an hour or so it seemed to focus on a bunch of spoilt, rich kids who party all the time and watch Rap videos. The story didn't really get into gear until about half way through, but once it got there it was worth watching until the end. It's set in chronological order of when the events happen, documenting the name and number of each witness. Interjected with pieces from a (mock) documentary, which showed interviews with people somehow connected to the crime.

I'm not really a fan of musicians turned actors, but Justin Timberlake (Frankie Ballenbacher) really surprised me, his acting was believable and at times better than some of the 'real' actors in the film *cough*Sharon Stone*cough*. Bruce Willis (Sonny Truelove) was Bruce Willis, is it just me or does he never really seem to change in the films he does? And I'm not a fan. Emile Hirsch was good as Johnny Truelove (aka Jesse James Hollywood), but not great annd I couldn't stop thinking I knew him from somewhere which distracted me (He was in 'The Girl Next Door'). Anton Yelchin (Zack Mazursky) was believable as the sweet, clueless, teenage kidnap victim. The entire female cast (including Sharon Stone, Olivia Wilde and Amanda Seyfried) however, was just plain irritating - they were either drunk, crying or naked, sometimes all three. They also added a lot of nameless people as friend or accesories in relation to the crime which got really confusing really quickly.

It's certainly nowhere near one of the best Crime/gangster films I've seen. It had it's really gripping good moments, but at times it seemed like a really bad episode of 'The OC'. I'd probably recommend this to a few of my male friends, but remember I'm 19, so there's no doubt they'll be into it. Oh and Justin Timberlake fans; he walks around topless a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...