Tuesday, August 26

Dedication


With each moment we write our story


The romantic comedy follows a misogynistic children's book author (Billy Crudup) who is forced to work closely with a female illustrator (Mandy Moore) instead of his long-time collaborator and only friend.

There were five main reasons I wanted to see this film, so lets go through them shall we? Firstly, a tagline that doesn't offend me (shocking!). Secondly, I love the poster. Number three, Mandy Moore stars, and she's just adorable isn't she? Number four, Billy Crudup is also in it, Billy Crudup was in 'Almost Famous' thus he brings a little 'Almost Famous' cool with him wherever he goes (unlike Kate Hudson who's trying to ruin Penny Lane by being in crappy films). Finally Justin Theroux directs it. Jsutin Theroux is an amazing actor. Justin Theroux is Louis Theroux's cousin making him genetically awesome. Justin Theroux is hot. All facts, all making me want to watch "Dedication".

Oddly enough 'Dedication' reminded me a little of 'Eternal Sunshine..'; it has similar cold (in the pathetic fallacy sense) cinematography, the male leads are also similar, both are depressed men trying to gain control over their lives whilst pushing love away. As you may remember, I did not like 'Eternal Sunshine...'. I did however like 'Dedication' maybe it was to do with the aforementioned reasons (and no Kirsten Dunst), it fact I'm guessing a lot of the reasoning is for those reasons. Billy Crudup plays the depressed, obsessive compulsive, cynical children's writer really well and Mandy Moore is excellent as his suffering illustator, so excellent in fact that you forget she was a teen pop sensation in the same vein as Britney and Christina.

What I really liked about this was that it wasn't over-complicated there was one story to tell and it got told beautifully, without a load of other unnecessary things interrupting (unlike 'Eternal Sunshine...'). There were also only really five people seen prominently in this film, which was interesting and actually quite worked. The way everything just fit together was perfect. I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about this film, I genuinely loved it! So, congratulations to Justin Theroux on his directorial debut, I hope he continues to work both in front of and behind the cameras!

2 comments:

  1. i just saw 'broken English' and loved it. have you seen it? its so realistic, and the tone is a little slow like 'lost in translation'. i love movies like those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jahaute,
    I haven't seen 'Broken English'. I'll have to check it out, thanks for the recommendation. It's refreshing to see films that have realistic believable stories, but still remaining interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...