Wednesday, August 20

Upcoming Films.

(that I'm excited about)


Did I mention I'm not very good at titles? But there are a few films that I'm excited about, that have either just come out or are going to be coming out in the near future, so here I am writing about them because I'm extremely bored.



***



The Wackness


Summer 1994. The girls were fly. The music was dope. And Luke was just trying to deal

Based around the story of teenager Luke Shapiro (Josh Peck). Luke spends his last summer before university selling marijuana throughout New York City, trading it with his unorthodox psychotherapist (Ben Kingsley) for treatment, while having a crush on his stepdaughter (Olivia Thirlby).

The thing that drew me to this film was the cast; Ben Kingsley (who I'm not particularly a fan of, but he's a good actor), Famke Janssen (who I know by name is a good actress, but I couldn't place), Josh Peck (who was Josh in Drake and Josh), Olivia Thirlby (who was the best friend in Juno) and Mary Kate Olsen (of Mary Kate and Ashley twin fame). If I'm honest the biggest draw for me is Mary Kate, I have a very strange fascination with the Olsen Twins. But it still is a pretty decent cast.

'The Wackness' got some good reviews at Sundance and is already scoring high reviews generally, so if indie coming of age films are your thing, then it's definitely worth checking out. I reckon it's going to be dope.

Reason to Watch:If you long for the simpler times of the early 1990's (no internet for a start) or just simply like the word 'dope' (which I do).
Release Date: August 29th (UK)








***



The Edge of Love


There are some things friends should never share.

Follows the complex relationship between Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas (Matthew Rhys), his wife Caitlin, childhood friend Vera Lynn and her husband William Killick.

Can you believe I still haven't seen Atonemnet? Although in my defence, I'm waiting for the buzz to die down, so I can watch it without people saying 'Oh my gosh that scene where ....... happens", or at least the memory of people saying that has left my head. This is another film where the cast is quite enticing Keira Knightley doesn't offend me as much as she seems to with other people, I love Matthew Rhys in 'Brothers and Sisters', Cillian Murphy seems able to fit every role he plays perfectly and I have, in recent years, warmed to Sienna Miller (to the extent that I seem to enjoy defending her current love life situation) and do think she's quite a good actress. I love that it's very much a British cast (except Cillian Murphy, but you get what I mean) for British Characters, which Hollywood just don't seem to like doing.

This is getting some mixed reviews; the good ones are good and the bad ones are mainly anti-Sienna/Keira with nothing really to do with the film. But mostly the reviews are suggesting it's definitely a film worth watching.

Reason to Watch:Gorgeous cinematography and amazing clothes. Proof that Sienna Miller is a good actress and Keira Knightley singing.
Release Date: It's out now in UK cinemas.








***


Pineapple Express

Put this in your pipe and smoke it.

A stoner (Seth Rogen) and his dealer (James Franco) are forced to go on the run from the police after witnessing a murder.

Oh come on, why would I not want to see this film; James Franco - hotness check. Seth Rogen - hilarity check and a trailer that made me cry laughing - chickety, chickety check! It's another film from all the people who created the bundle of happiness that is Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up etc. I'm that strange breed of girl who snorts in fits of laughter at stupid, gross out humour, or 'boy humour' as I call it because I tend to have to go see it with a load of who won't walk out saying 'well, that was crap' or I'll buy it from HMV and end up talking to the boys there about how amazing it is. Hmm, tangent... what was I saying? Oh yes 'stupid, gross out humour' - that's what I love about the Judd Apatow/Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg films - you get the idea that what you see is exactly what you get - every single, immature, dirty little thought that goes through their heads, I love it! I know there have been quite a few of these films with the same 'bromance' premise, but you have to admit they do tend to be pretty funny.

Reason to Watch:Hilarious storyline. James Franco showing off his comedic timing, which we rarely get to see. Finally, if like me you have a secret crush on Seth Rogen (He's really funny, damnit!).
Release Date: 12th September in UK.






***


The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2

Some Friends Just Fit Together

We rejoin four young women, Lena (Alexis Bledel), Tibby (Amber Tamblyn), Bridget (Blake Lively) and Carmen (America Ferrera) on their journey towards adulthood. Three years on from the first film, the girls are still friends following different paths in life at different colleges, but still together through friendship.


If you hadn't noticed the '2' in the title, this is a sequel. Also, if you hadn't noticed by the poster, title and description - this is going to be a pretty girly film. In Fact I know this will be a girly film because I've seen the first one. What you can expect from this one is (possibly) better acting as all four are more mature actresses now, especially from Blake (Gossip Girl) and America (Ugly Betty) who play leads in majorly successful TV programmes. The films are also an adaptation from a book series of the same name, and although I have zero interest in reading the books, from what I can gather the characters and the subject matters mature a lot in this film also, making it not just the typical "girly-we learn something-you learn something-then we all hug and cry it out" type film, which I think even the people who enjoy that type of film are pretty sick of.

Reason to Watch: Proof that there's more to America and Blake than just Betty and Serena. Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls) is in it and I love Alexis, thus you should too. Amber Tamblyn's adorable too. Y'know what see it for the lovely cast.
Release Date: Currently no UK release date.






***


Nick Norah's Infinite Playlist

The story of Nick (Michael Cera) and Norah's (Kat Dennings) night in Manhattan - two people who have just met. It's a night of stripping nuns, Russian food, psycho exes, writing songs and singing in the rain. A night they'll never forget.


Firstly, this film has Michael Cera in it, so that's got to be a good thing, he is the master of awkward acting and just completely adorable. (Sidenote: If you love Michael and also love the guy who plays Dale on 'Greek' then you should check out their website). Kat Dennings is pretty good too probably best known as the teenage daughter in '40 Year Old Virgin" (Oh, and she was the bratty 14 year old Bar Mitzvah girl in 'Sex & The City'), she seems to have some excellent comedic acting skills. It's also got Harold from 'Harold and Kumar Go To Whitecastle' - I don't know if that's a good thing, but I thought I'd mention it. Finally, seeing as it's called 'Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist', playlist being the keyword, there's bound to be some pretty awesome music featured. All adds up to a cool sounding film worth checking out!

Reason to Watch: Umm, Michael Cera. Also, see trailer.
Release Date: 30th January 2009 (Holy Moly Batman, that's forever away!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...