Friday, September 17

My Style Icons: An Unreal Continuation - Bianca Stratford

Did I say something about the last one, being the last time I did one of these style icon posts? Nope, definitely not. Anyway this is different, mostly. Sort of. 

Anyway, I had so much fun doing the style icon posts that I wanted to do it again, but this time a little different. I've found myself being more and more inspired by fictional characters, than I am by real people. Before I could get carried away naming all of my 'real' style icons, whereas I'm sick of being told that Alexa, Daisy, Pixie, Emma W and Fearne (good lord, Fearne Cotton of all people) have the look I want, but that's just it they have 'a look', one which they share between them - "Whose turn is it to wear the cut-off denim shorts and acne shoots this week?". It's become so pathetic that I've had to turn to fictional characters to inspire my wardrobe, all of sudden it's Joan, Blair, Penny and Andie that have the looks I love. Which is why I wanted to do this 'little thing' - write about the 'people' who inspire the way I dress now.

If I'm honest, I've been intending to start writing this for a couple of months, but I've been struggling a bit - I could not decide who to start with. I currently have a bajillion pictures of someone, but it almost seems too obvious to do her first (it's kind of obvious to do her at all), because her and the lady that plays her have been everywhere - from my twitter feed to the mouths of equalities ministers. So, I wanted to start with someone a little less obvious and more personal to me. And so,


My Style Icons: An Unreal Continuation
Part I: Bianca Stratford
(10 Things I Hate About You - Film)

'10 Things I Hate About You' is an adaptation of Shakespeare's 'The Taming of The Shrew'. The story centres on the Stratford sisters: stubborn and rather 'anti-social' Katarina/Kat (Julia Stiles) and the popular and shallow Bianca (Larisa Oleynik). Both of the girls are forbidden to date by their over-protective father, the stipulation being that Bianca can date as soon as Kat does, which is an unlikely occurrence "Have you seen the unwashed miscreants that go to that school?". So, in an attempt to get a date with 'local hot rod' Joey Donner (Andrew Keegan), Bianca {with help from her smitten French tutor Cameron James (Joseph Gordon Levitt), and his friend Michael (David Krumholtz) attempts to set Kat up with the equally anti-social, Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger).I hate writing plot synopsis', can't you tell? Even the simplest of films all of sudden become like the staircase in Hogwarts. Anyway, Bianaca Stratford. Bianca was possibly one of my first fashion icons, that I was aware of, meaning, I intentionally set out to wear outfits inspired by the clothes the character wore. 

"Bianca: There's a difference between like and love. Because, I like my Skechers, but I love my Prada backpack.Chastity: But I love my Skechers. Bianca: That's because you don't have a Prada backpack. "'

'10 Things...' came out in 1999, so as you can imagine the clothes are really quite late 90's - outfits included Dr Martens Mary Jane's, bare midriff's, white jeans and those sort of nylon-y fitted floral dresses. Bianca was the girly, 'spoilt princess' of the Stratford sisters this was translated in the clothes she wore - lots of pastels, pinks, florals, butterfly motifs and floaty fabrics. She also wore a lot of red's which seemed to embody here 'flirty/teasing' nature - like the sundress quote - she knew she could get anything, through dressing the way she did. 
I think these few items really personify Bianca's look.1. Red polka dot babydoll dress £24 - Dorothy Perkins; 2. Tiered Lace Skirt £22 - New Look; 3. Grey Sequin Butterfly Hoodie £35 - Miss Selfridge; 4. Diamond Rose Slip £38 - Topshop; 5. Pink Crop Crochet Cami £7 - Miss Selfridge; 6. White Floral Shorts £15 - Miss Selfridge; 7. Floral Print Corset £30 - Topshop; 8. Dr Martens Mary Janes £59.99 - Schuh; 9. Cross Body Bag £24 - Urban Outfitters; 10. Burgundy Cardigan £9.99 - H&Mall images via Leavemethewhite

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...