Saturday, October 16

I resolve.

2 1/2-Months-To-New-Year's-Resolutions Resolutions
newresolution
 Today I am an entire year older. Today is my birthday. Today I’m 23, which is honestly really quite old. I’m actually happy about getting older to be honest, to me getting older always meant independence and responsibility - when I started school we drew pictures of what we’d look like at different ages, I drew a picture of me aged 20 with a red ferrari, red high heels and a huge white fur coat (I looked a little like Cruella DeVille to be honest). Although, the only part of that picture I own is the red shoes, being older always seemed like it would be so much fun. And it is. Ok, sometimes it’s a bit rubbish, but I love getting older, I loved being younger too, but I love being the age I am now.
Anyway, every birthday I like to make a mental note of what I’ve achieved by the age that I’m turning - this year I can add that I've graduated from a university degree! I also like to make a note of what I’d still like to achieve and because it’s a new year of me I call them my New Year’s Resolutions, you dig? 
So here goes.

5231648418_8a2ef97d37_z_large
weheartit
1. Learn a language.
Languages were my ‘thing’ at school, whenever I had a bad day in science or felt like crying in maths I knew I could go to the language lab/English room and boost my confidence. I even toyed with the idea of studying French at University, although a year of studying French Grammar for an entire year at AS-Level, got rid of that idea pretty quick. Going to Spain this past summer, with very little knowledge of the language (I’ve watched Dora the Explorer and know a few Enrique Iglesias songs) and managing to pick up enough to have decent, albeit stilted, interactions with people made me realise that this is something I’m quite good at and need to work to my advantage. As of now, I can (slowly) read/translate French and I can have basic conversations, but I want to be fluent, to not have to think about what I’m saying before I say it. If anyone has any suggestions as to how they successfully learnt a language I’m interested to know - suggest away!




2. Spend time with my friends
As I mentioned, this year I finished my university degree, which is obviously super exciting and I’m really quite proud of myself. I have, however reached that odd/scary point, where I'm back at home, and all my uni friends are all over the country. I'm lucky because I still have a friend base at home, but it's still important for me to keep in contact with the super amazing friends I made at uni. The fact that they are all over the country actually makes it more exciting, it just means I get to visit lots of new and exciting places!



tatielle
3. Read more books.
I love reading, most people do though don't they? Actually, correction. Most people I know love reading. I'm genuinely quite wary of people who don't enjoy books, to the extent that I'd say that we can't truly be friends if you don't read books (don't even get me started on gentlemen callers who don't read). One of the reasons I chose not to do an English degree at university was that I didn't want to spend three years reading books I'd inevitably grow to hate and not get any enjoyment out of reading. Despite that, I didn't really read much for pleasure at uni anyhow, I mean I managed to read every now and again, but not as much as I'd like (Funnily enough during second year I was seeing a boy, who accused me of 'always reading', yes, as an insult - he was promptly unseen, so to speak). Now  I'm finished I can hopefully get through the bags of books I intended to read whilst at uni. Also, if anyone has any recommendations let me know and I can add them on to my list.


weheartit


4. Learn something new
Ok, granted this is a little vague, so I be more specific - I want to learn a new skill, I actually want to be good at something. As the saying goes "Jack of all trades, master of none", that is me to a tee, I'm not actually really, truly good at anything  - I just know how to do a lot of things. So I want to learn to do at least one thing (quite well - I think I'll need a bit more time to be properly good), by this time next year. At the moment the top of my list is learning how to DJ, like mixing and all that business. I've wanted to do it for quite a long time now - when I was at school a lot of the boys who were 'not quite as academic' as everyone else got a chance to do a DJ course at a local studio. I was so annoyed that they were the only ones who got a chance to go, because I so badly wanted to do it. The desire to DJ has been renewed by going out to bars recently and actually enjoying the music that was being played (which is incredibly rare) or going out and hating the music and knowing I could do a better job (a lot more common). 

5. Learn to drive.
The minute I became old enough to learn to drive (17 in the UK) I started doing driving lessons and I absolutely loved it, loved it - I became a bit of a speed demon! Then for a million reasons - which ranged from my instructor being fired for sexual harassment (seriously) to Topshop (where I worked) making me do so much overtime that I just about managed to complete my A-Levels - I had to stop learning and I haven't had a chance to start again. Not being able to drive (or at least not having a license to do so) is one of the most frustrating things ever, I don't mind catching the bus, but sometimes you really need to drive somewhere. There's so just much freedom that comes with driving, and it'll make resolution number two a little easier to fulfil too.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, so this is a very belated response to this post.... but I have a suggestion!

    I know exactly how you feel about French, after the whole Diane-at-AS-Level debacle I pretty much didn't speak any French for three years.

    In the summer of 2008 (that seems so long ago now!) I decided to go off for two/three months and be an au pair. I originally applied to be an au pair in the USA, but because the York term finishes so late the dates didn't match up. Instead, the agency offered me a job with a French family just outside Paris.

    Though I was terrified and my French was very rusty, I took the job and flew out a few weeks later. It was the best way to get back into a language and become almost-fluent. I barely spoke English for two months, and even started thinking/dreaming in French. Plus, I got to live in Paris for two months.

    Anyway, a great way to really learn a language and an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aagh, sorry for the delay in replying! Die definitely put me off French for a long time!
    Thank you! I've definitely considered living in France and just completely immersing myself in the language - I think it's my best bet. I suppose I just have to work up the courage to actually do it, although I couldn't do the whole working with children thing, that probably scaes me more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...