Wednesday, October 27

Nice and Slow, Pretty Songs.

weheartit
Everyone has a favourite word don't they? I actually have a few, including 'disco', 'cinnamon' and anything ending in 'bug' (doodlebug, jitterbug or lovebug). Therefore, everyone tends to have a least favourite word - I hate pus, congeal and coagulate - they always seem to involve bodily fluids -  I also have an odd one; 'genre'. It's not the world itself, on it's own it's a good word - it's has that funny 'zh' (derived from the French language) sound that if you do it for too long, it tickles your teeth and then it ends with a sort-of Earth Kitt purr. It's a good word. 


Wait. No, I mean it's a good sounding word. It's just what people do with the word that annoys me, especially when they apply it to music. I won't rant, but for someone to say that they only like one specific genre of music just seems completely ignorant, especially as it's so hard to define music these days. This dislike for defining music by genre, does however wreak havoc with organisation freak inside me, because "How do you expect me to organise all this music you have?". Which is why I've developed a long list of bizarrely named and random music playlists in Itunes, the first of which (and my own personal favourite) is "Nice and Slow Pretty Songs" (and yes, before you ask this is an incredibly long winded attempt to share some music with you).




I know that definition for a playlist is quite vague, but essentially all the songs are either 'nice and slow' or 'pretty', sometimes all three. They are the sort of songs I listen to when I'm happy (or feel happy), when I'm feeling relaxed (or what to relax), they're the song songs that cheer me up when I feel down - the sort of songs that remind you of someone or want someone to be reminded of you when they hear them, they're the sort of songs you like to listen to alone, but also the ones you want to share with someone special (see what I did there). That is why I want to share a couple with you.


"I could make you happy, make your dreams come true/Nothing that I wouldn't do/Go to the ends of the earth for you/To make you feel my love" 
Adele - Make You Feel My Love
Did you know that this is a live video (ie it's not Adele miming to a backing track), sort of makes all the more emotional and, well, pretty, doesn't it?





"I love you through sparks and shining dragons, I do"
Guillemots - Made Up Love Song
I don't know if it's possible to accurately explain the feeling of butterflies in your stomach - I always think it's a bit like the way you feel after you've spun around in circles; a bit dizzy,a bit giggly, a bit sick and a bit like you want to do it again. Anyhow, if it is possible, I think this comes close - it just makes me want to smile and giggle all the time, which is nice.







"I know I said I love you but I'm thinking I was wrong/I'm the first to admit that I'm still pretty young"
Laura Marling - New Romantic 
The thing I like about Laura Marling songs is that the lyrics don't sound how you expect them to sound. Take this song for example, the music is quite pretty, but she's essentially explaining why she doesn't love someone and how she fell out of love with them. I like that contrast.







"No matter gay or grim/it's those tiny little sparks/Daily life that makes me/forget my wounded heart" 
Rรถyksopp - Sparks
I just love this song. It's just so slow, chilled and lovely sounding that it gives me shivers. I love it.







"Never so far you can't call me back /I'm never more than a single kiss away"
The Bangles - Something That You Said
Despite being released in the early 2000's this song always reminds me of 80's brat pack films (mainly this) and school crushes - the good parts not the excruciatingly cringe worthy (or so they seemed) parts.







"I should be crying, but I just can't let it show/I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking"
Maxwell - This Woman's Work
I hadn't heard this version of this song up until a couple of months ago - I absolutely love the original version (by Kate Bush) - but apparently in some places it's more popular than the original. It's sort of interesting hearing the lyrics from a male point of view, because what I interpret it as a song mainly about womanhood - this woman's work - how women struggle to stay strong for families/children regardless. 


Do you have a different way of sorting your music - are you one of those people that doesn't sort it at all (*sharp intake of breath*) or are you as obsessive about playlists as I am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...