Monday, November 22

The Ballerina Project


One of my favourite sites to sit and trawl through when I'm bored is art.co.uk, which is essentially just a site for buying art (prints, posters, etc). You can also use the site to create a 'gallery' of all your favourite pieces. My gallery is always a mish-mash of whatever I'm obsessed with at the time - it began with lots of Rothko and Pollock, followed by Van Gogh, Monet and Lesser Ury and transitioned to lots of black and white photography (obviously, as you'd come to expect from me there are lots of film posters too) - most recently I have become a bit obsessed with photography of ballerina's. 



I'm not quite sure how it began, possibly after reading a lot about Darren Aronofsky's new film 'The Black Swan', but it has certainly been fuelled by my discovery of 'The Ballerina Project'.

"The Ballerina Project grew from the idea of New York City as a magnet for creativity; each photograph is a collaborative work of dance, fashion design and photography played out against the city's landscape."







Photographed by Dane Shitagi, the Ballerina Project takes the delicate beauty of ballet into the modern, sometimes harsh setting of New York City. 

"Putting them on the streets says something about the way dance brings things alive. When we're just living our lives day to day, we're doing our own dance. If you limit things to the dance studio, it becomes just coverage -- it doesn't take it to another realm."

It sounds almost cliché to say, but the images are absolutely stunning, I have literally spent hours going through all the photo albums on Facebook. 








(all images from The Ballerina Project)

Links to The Ballerina Project


4 comments:

  1. I love these! I adore art with ballerinas in it too. There are still days when I think that I could be a ballerina myself (completely discounting the fact that I am only 5ft3 and a bit curvy!) We can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, being of similar build and stature I completely agree! Although hand me a tutu and I'll definitely give it good (or terrible, as is more likely) a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful post. :) inspirational.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...