Friday, November 19

Guilty Pleasures, Part IV: Pop Rock (and Coke).


weheartit

When I was younger, around 13/14/15 years old, I went through a phase during which I watched a lot of South Park, Jackass and Tucker, had major crushes on Johnny Knoxxville, Steve-O and Tom DeLonge and listened to a lot of Blink 182 and New Found Glory (I say phase, I think it's a permanent state to be honest).  I think this is the most fun I've had compiling a 'Guilty Pleasures' list - I could not stop remembering songs! So this is dedicated to teenage me (and also my good friend who I'd talk to about all these things).


Guilty Pleasures, Part IV: Pop Rocks and Coke.


Evanescence - Call Me When You're Sober

I loved this song when it came out, like properly L.O.V.E.D it. I recently found my old diary that I started writing in my early teens and a friend asked if I could post a couple of extracts, I told her no, because quite simply I was an extremely dramatic teen - everyday was the worst day ever and I was in love with absolutely every boy I set my eyes on. Evanescence sort of fit with the melodramatic drama of my life, with Amy Lee's operatic voice, the gothic drama of their videos and the incredibly emotional lyrics. This particular song was the soundtrack to a crush I had on a boy who would only talk to me (on MSN) when he was drunk or extremely tired and so it always annoyed me that he'd never 'call me when [he's] sober', you see what I did there.




American Hi-Fi - Flavour of the Weak

I discovered this song in a way a lot of people my age (and older) did - my friend it on a mixtape, and a proper cassette mixtape too, not even a CD! I learnt all the words, expect the 'too stoned, Nintendo' line because I was an extremely naive pre-teen who didn't have a clue what stoned meant. I was also a boyfriendless pre-teen so I didn't really understand the rest of the lyrics - but I imagined that if I had a boyfriend, he wouldn't appreciate me either.








Sum 41 - Fat Lip


This was also on the aforementioned mix-tape, I also learnt all the words to this song (and thought I was incredibly cool whilst doing so).







New Found Glory - Dressed to Kill


Fact: This album was the first one I ever bought for myself, which is why I probably still quite like it and still know all the words. This video also has the added bonus of Rachel Leigh Cook (of She's All That fame) - if you follow me on Twitter you will of heard me talk about my obsession with Rachel/She's All That many-a-time, which is just like a definition of me becoming a teenager (funnily enough NFG did a cover of the song 'Kiss Me', which was featured on the 'She's All That' soundtrack).







Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag


Another song that I still really quite like, which features another screen icon (or fashion icon) from when I was younger, who I was really quite obsessed with - Mena Suvari. It also has Jason Biggs in, who we all know as the boy who had 'sexual relations' with an apple pie in 'American Pie'. To add to the myriad of teen movie references his song was featured on the soundtrack to the film 'Loser', which funnily enough starred Mena and Jason. Coincidence, no? (It was also really not that good, at all). So yes, the song. I genuinely believe that most people (at least my age) liked this song, even just a little bit, at some point, because everyone was at some point a bit of a teenage dirtbag (again, see what I did there. I'm very proud of myself).







Yellowcard - One Year, Six Months


I haven't actually listened to this song for a while now, mostly because I've made myself forget about, but it came up recently on shuffle and I was reminded of how much I loved it. This is one of those situations where a relationship ruins a song for you - I shan't go in depth, but fell out with a close friend of mine a few years ago (through no fault of my own and we haven't spoken since. Also, not the friend I mentioned in the intro). This song always reminded me of him and I'd always get upset about it. Don't get me wrong, it still reminds me of him, but now I just remember how much I loved this song. Also, Yellowcard has a violinist, that's a bit amazing really isn't it.







Honourable Mentions


Fall Out Boy – A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More ‘Touch Me’
(I've never heard this song and I don't really want to, but I absolutely love the name of it)







Panic at The Disco! – Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off
(see the reasoning for the above)

Papa Roach - Last Resort
(because I saw them on MTV Cribs and they seemed so lovely)

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
(because if you really feel it necessary to cove Michael Jackson, you better make it sound quite different)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...