Friday, December 24

'Tis the Season - My Christmas Film List.

'Tis the season to sit all cuddled up on the sofa watching infinite amounts of films back to back, granted this is what I do most days, but 'tis the season during which I have an excuse to be doing it. 'Tis also the season to watch infinite amounts of films about the aforementioned season (I really, really like saying 'tis the season'. Tis the season after all).

Now everyone has a favourite Christmas film, everyone whether it be an obvious one like 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'Miracle on 34th Street' or a not so obvious one like 'Die Hard' or 'Gremlins' (thanks Mum) - and no doubt everyone is telling you theirs, and as usual I'm going to add my favourites to the rabble and hopefully you'll find one you haven't seen yet. I'm not saying these are the best Christmas films, in the world ever - I'm just saying these are my favourite Christmassy films.

The Family Stone



Ok, so this probably doesn't strike you as a Christmas film right away but the film follows the story of Meredith (Sarah Jessica Parker) - an uptight, business woman - as she spends Christmas with her boyfriend Everett's (Dermot Mulrooney) large and eccentric family, headed by matriarch Sybil Stone (Diane Keaton). Reading comments and reviews about The Family Stone, a lot of people talk how much they disliked it because they were expecting it to be a 'feel good family film' and were taken aback by how 'un-feel-goody' it is. It's definitely a family film, it's just that (in this instance, at least) the Stone's don't come across as a very nice family - judging Meredith before she even enters their home. I suppose The Family Stone is what is best known as 'dramedy' - there is a definitely possibility that you will laugh,  that you will feel quite sympathetic to some of the characters, that you will dislike some of the characters and that you will really want to cry - but that pretty much sums up Chrismastime in my household too (and I imagine many others with large families).

(a few more after the jump)






Elf



If you've seen Elf you probably love it. If you haven't seen Elf, watch it you'll love it. If you could make a warm, fuzzy Christmas feeling into a film it would be Elf - the perfect combination of laughing until you cry and cry until you cry a bit more, in that extremely sentimental and Christmassy way.
Buddy the Elf (Will Ferrell) isn't quite as 'elfin' as the other elves, so he travels to New York to find his true identity. Buddy's childlike innocence and positivity not only make this an incredibly quotable film ("I just like to smile, smiling's my favourite), but also - in my opinion - a modern classic.





Home Alone 1 and 2




Speaking of modern classics... I don't feel any shame in declaring Home Alone 1 and 2, two of my favourite films ever, ever. An eight year old child gets left behind as his family travel away for Christmas and he is forced to defend himself from burglars. The best thing is, this happens twice (granted in two different cities) - the same child gets forgotten by his parents and attacked by the exact same burglars  - twice. As you can imagine that entails an awful lot of Tom & Jerry-esque slapstick - which I love. Really that should be awful, but I bet at some point this was a combination of every child's dream and their worst nightmare.







The Muppet Christmas Carol




Yes, when it comes to Christmas films I have the mental capacity of an 8 year old. Come on we all know the story of Dicken's A Christmas Carol, don't we? - Scrooge is, well a scrooge and a bit of miser. On Christmas eve he is visited by a the ghosts of his former, equally miserly, colleagues - who in turn tell him he'll be visited by three spirits, stuff happens and he is reformed. Obviously with this being a Muppet Movie it's filled with, well Muppets and Muppet humour - meaning lots of my favourites Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog.




My So-Called Life - So Called Angels




Ok, so not a film, but still Christmassy. My So Called Life was a short-lived US tv show about 15 year old schoolgirl Angela Chase (Claire Danes) as she 'survives high-school'. This Christmas episode focuses on those who are less fortunate at christmas - the homeless and the helpless. Even if you watch this as a standalone episode it's still a beautiful and important message remember at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...