Friday, February 4

Gleecap - "Duet"

E4
Yes, this is the most delayed Gleecap so far, so sorry about that Gleeks. If you are open to excuses I have a few, but mostly it was because I had a headache Monday night and Tuesday morning. After that it got pushed down my list of priorities, alas, it's here now and that's all that really matters. Although, I do still have a bit of headache, so this could be quite a short one, we'll see.

So, Duets.

Season 2, Episode 4 - Duets.

As the Glee club works on a competitive duet assignment, Finn and Rachel conspire to help a new member win; Kurt has problems with how people view his sexuality and the rest of the group's couples meet with a few issues

(my Gleecap after the jump - contains spoilers)
First bombshell of the episode - Puck's in juvie because he drove his mum's Volvo into a convenience store and stole an ATM (with or without the money). This can also be translated as, Mark Salling is currently writing his debut solo album Pipe Dreams and needed time off. None of New Directions are particularly sympathetic to Puck's situation (because, seriously who drives their car into a convenience store), but they are all of course extremely annoyed that he was selfish enough to be a delinquent so close to sectionals, thus jeopardising their chances of competing, again. The Glee clubbers needn't have worried though, as wide-mouthed, blondie and adorkable new kid Sam Evans has finally decided it's cool to join Glee club, so yey!

glee.wikia
This week Mr Schue's vaguely relevant (but never quite important in the end) Glee assignment is for all the members to pair up and do a duet - completely ignoring the fact that are 11 members in the Glee club, but whatever - all the couples will compete for a gift certificate to Breadsticks. I'm assuming that Breadsticks is a bit like Bella Italia or like, if Pizza Hut had mood lighting, as such I can't quite fathom why these kids are so incredibly excited, none more so than Santana, but it's hilarious watching them freak out about a Breadsticks gift certificate.

Kurt already has his eye on Sam and desperately wants to do a duet with him. Finn, however, is not too keen on the idea as he thinks that the pairing will encourage people to tease Sam and eventually force him to leave the Glee club. "If he sings with you, you're painting a bullseye on his back" Kurt suggests that this has a lot more to do with Finn's closet homophobia, but can Kurt really keep blaming every negative reaction to his behaviour on latent homophobia? Although I agree, that a lot of people's reactions towards Kurt are more to do with how they perceive him and the way they perceive homosexuality, sometimes Kurt is pushy and a little bit overbearing, that can be intimidating regardless of your sexuality.

"No actually I don't. I have issues with the fact that you don't understand that no means no."

Finn also has a word with Sam about pairing up with Kurt, telling him his high-school life will be hell if he pairs up with him, Sam however doesn't see a problem in duetting with Kurt as he has a voice like Faith Hill and states that in his world Kurt's sexuality is a non-issue, which in itself is quite cool and really leads us to believe that this is more Finn's problem than anyone else's. Burt however (who is a bit better, thanks for asking), is taking Finn's side this time "Maybe Finn has a point, maybe it's you ... until you find someone as open and as brave as you" I think the word 'flaunt' was used at some point too. I took what Burt said mostly as; It's important to be open and be yourself, but it's also important to consider that people might be uncomfortable in that situation, so until everyone else is comfortable you can't be yourself, or something. Is that what he's saying?  Because if so, isn't that a really negative attitude to have to your child's sexuality and encourage in your aforementioned child. I don't know, maybe this is sort of a moot point. 

Speaking of, unbeknown to everyone else Santana and Brittany have been 'duetting' for a while. This was hinted at last series, funnily enough in the episode Ballad in which the club were paired up to do duets - "If sex was dating then me and Satana would be dating". Ryan Murphy had previously mentioned that they wouldn't be addressing this situation again, but of course he loves to drop little 'will they won't they' teasers here and there and this was one of them, what do you think of this pairing? How many of you were a little shocked by that line about scissoring? I talk about how much I love Santana and Brittany all the time, so I don't need to tell how much I love these two together, romantically or otherwise. I don't think they've worked as well in any other pairing separately, except maybe with Mercedes.

Meanwhile with the heterosexual members of the group; Rachel and Fin practice their duet for the competition with a rendition of Elton John and Kiki Dee's 70's karaoke classic "Don't Go Breaking My Heart". I love this song, but I couldn't help rolling my eyes at first sight of Rachel - It was all just so ... nauseating and sweet. Regardless of my thoughts other people must of liked it, at least Rachel and Finn did because they immediately become convinced that they are going to win the competition. Now, I hope this is one of those times where someone says something that is so incredibly self absorbed that it's just funny and the audience can't wait for them to fall flat on their faces and realise it. Because, really Finn and Rachel, really? In hindsight after seeing all the performances, do we think these two would've won with this performance?

In other couple news; Mike Abs can't sing, so he doesn't want to duet as everyone knows all he does is dance really well (obviously we all know if Mike could sing he'd be a triple threat, what with his abs and smooth moves). Tina knows that Mike has to sing for them to win a 'normal' night out at Breadsticks, that doesn't involve something Asian (or his mother). The couple apparently seem to be arguing a lot, so there could be trouble in paradise. Abs is however on the case as he suggests Asian Couples Therapy - "Why does the couples therapy have to be Asian?", yes Glee, why? Tina later asks Artie if he wants to duet together as friends, Artie continues to be super mean to her, but ultimately says no, because; Brittany has to find a duet partner after being brutally rebuffed by Santana and chooses Artie, despite the fact that she had previously believed him to be a robot; Sam and Quinn pair up after Sam flirts with her in Avatar language (or whatever, I don't care, I don't intend to watch Avatar anytime soon) and displays his scholastic aptitude. What do we think of this pairing? Personally, I love Quinn's character, so I really hope that she's not going to spend this series defined by another relationship, I guess that's her concern too. But really, how adorkable is Sam; Sanatana who really, really wants to go to Breadsticks decides to pair up with Mercedes. Because all of the awesome they've got going on, which leads to our second duet song River Deep, Mountain High by Tina Turner.


Come on now. Admit it, this was crazy good wasn't it? As the kids are saying these days, these two straight up killed it, killed it. I know I say every week that I love these two's performances, but they really have the presence and the attitude to completely own the songs they sing. So rightfully, they's be going to Breadsticks.

weheartit
As Kurt no longer has anyone to duet with (which at this point really isn't his fault) he indulges in a little 'vocal masturbation' and duets with himself on Le Jazz Hot from Victor, Victoria. Like actual mast... no, I'm kidding, but I'm not going to lie I loved this! I love Kurt's theatricality, if this is what Burt meant about 'flaunting', then Kurt really shouldn't stop.

Next up is Mike and Tina's version of 'Sing!' from A Chorus Line. Firstly, let me say that I love the variety of songs in this episode this is what makes a good Glee episode great - songs from all genres and decades. Anyway, this duet was so much fun! That was genuinely all I wrote because I was too busy watching it (the same went for Le Jazz Hot and River Deep).

Later, Artie tells Brittany that they can't work together because he's still in love with someone else - I'm guessing Tina, and not himself - Brittany advises him that the best way to get over someone is to in fact get under someone and proceeds to 'deflower' Artie. Even later, later Artie gets upset with Brittany for using him and taking away what was extremely important to him (his virginity). Maybe it's my severe dislike for how Artie treats girls, but I thought he was kind of mean, because surely he could of said no - he didn't seem to be that hurt at the time did he?

gleeimages
Meanwhile, Finn and Rachel continue to try and sabotage their guaranteed win by singing "With You I'm Born Again" , which I've never heard or intend to hear again, but apparently it was extremely offensive because of the outfits they chose, or something - I googled it but I'm still not quite sure why. I say that if you have to explain a joke, don't bother telling said joke, but maybe other people understood it so whatever. I did adore Kurt's disgusted face though. After the mild offence, Sam and Quinn sing Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat. Which as Santana said was "so freakin' charming", but it was also freaking adorable. Again, I love this song and I loved the simplicity of Quinn and Sam's performance.


Of course Quinn and Sam win because of the whole Rachel and Finn sabotage situation. The pair go to Breadsticks, not as a date, nevertheless Quinn eventually gives in to Sam, who I don't know if I've mentioned is adorable, and declares it is in fact now a date (but hopefully doesn't give in to having the entire series devoted to her relationship with Sam).

Rachel feels emotions other than those faces she fakes during her solos and feels guilty about the whole forcing Sam to sing with Quinn situation, which ended up with a hurt Kurt (rhymes!). She tells him that he'll always have the New Directions to love him for who he is (except, y'know, Finn). She also tells him that they are both quite alike and I actually agree, which makes me wonder if they gave Kurt more screen time if I'd start to really dislike him. Anyway, Rachel offers to do  duet with Kurt, because it is a pure privilege to do a duet with Rachel Berry and the pair sing a mashup of Get Happy and Happy Days Are Here, which was originally sung by Judy Garland and Barbara Streisand (of course). FYI, the original is understandably stunning and you can watch it here, do it! Anyway, this was a beautiful tribute, to a classic performance, the pair did it glorious justice. I know I complain about Rachel getting every Barbara Streisand song she eve sung and always closing the show with a song, but I loved this and I loved it as a close to the episode. A new favourite!

So, that was Duet. What are your thoughts on the episode? Did you have a favourite song? Perhaps a new favourite couple? As always let me no in the comments section.

Next week it's The Rocky Horror Glee Show. If you haven't seen the film, I'd advise you to try and catch it before the episode!

E4

2 comments:

  1. Breadsticks is supposed to represent an American chain called Olive Garden that has neverending breadsticks, pasta and is BELOVED in every American suburb. I think their enthusiasm was supposed to be a send-up of this suburban love affair because, you know, it's oh so pedestrian.

    I didn't really get the Rachel/Quinn joke either but I've never seen Springtime With Hitler. I'm not sure if that was supposed to be an inside joke for Broadway buffs or if the writers are just such aficionados that it didn't occur to them some of us aren't so in the know.

    And - you know of my intense Mraz love - since Mraz and is old girlfriend Tristan Prettyman just got engaged, it's a good time to look up their version of Lucky on YouTube. They're so freaking cute!!

    Love your Gleecaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah, thanks Jen!

    I love how they go completely crazy over Breadsticks - we don't really have anywhere like that here, at least I don't think we do, so it's even more hilarious.

    I think you're probably right about it being an in joke, which is kind of rubbish for it to be such a huge deal in the show, but for it to go over the heads of the majority of the audience.

    I haven't heard Tristan and Jason's version, I'm going to go hunt for it now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...