Thursday, February 10

Well Sinead O'Rebellion...

starandstyle

Rihanna's video for her new single S&M premiered last week and was immediately met with all sorts of controversy around the 'fetishistic' video (as you can imagine with a song called S&M). Personally I'm bored with Rihanna's faux-edgy videos/behaviour so you'll have to excuse me if I say I don't care about said controversy, to quote Empire Records "Well Sinead O'Rebellion. Shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behaviour".

 Aside from all the 'overly sexual' side of it all the other controversy surrounding the video is that it appears to be very much like those directed by photographer David LaChappelle. You might wonder how a video can look like one person's specific style, well David LaChappelle's style is pretty distinctive, you only have to look at a few of his images to notice similarities - eroticism and bright colours usually, with the occasional bit of 'grit thrown in. 

(both images via ru_glamour - it was difficult finding ones that wouldn't get me reported!)

I'm personally a huge fan of LaChappelle's photography and my first thought was that this was a video directed by him. Apparently a few other people thought so too and tweeted about it, which alerted him and 'his people' to the fact, thus a plagiarism row was born. You can read a little bit about it here and here. Now, I just thought all this furore was a great excuse to share a few of my favourite videos (and pictures) that David LaChapelle has actually created, best of a bad situation and all that.



No Doubt - It's My Life

(More after the jump - as you can imagine, it gets quite nsfw)



Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own
I love that this just looks like Amy is walking through a LaChapelle shoot completely oblivious to what's going on around her.


worldofbritney



Kelis - Good Stuff
Kelis before everyone started suggesting she was trying to copy Lady Gaga and Rihanna's style. If you could sue for someone stealing your personal style, Rihanna would have another plagiarism lawsuit on her hands.



Jennifer Lopez - I'm Glad
Speaking of plagiarism, Jennifer got in a little trouble for this one with the woman whose life the film Flashdance was based on (yeah, that was based on real life). It's pretty much a like-for-like copy of the film, except shorter which already makes this infinitely better. Also Jennifer is stunning and a great dancer.


weheartit


Christina Aguilera featuring Lil' Kim - Can't Hold Us Down
Possibly my favourite, I just love all the 80's influences in the video and it pretty much sums up David LaChapelle's work colourful to the point of being tacky/gaudy (which is a compliment in my book) and a little bit raunchy.



Mariah Carey - Loverboy
I think the pairing of LaChappelle and Mariah Carey is pretty apt, anyone would think Mariah's entire life was styled by LaChappelle.


weheartit
You can find out a little bit more about David LaChapelle's projects (past and present) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...