Thursday, June 30

I Want To See This Film...



One Day is the film adaptation of the book of the same name by David Nicholls. The film visits Emma Morley (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter Mayhew (Jim Sturgess) on the same date each year, beginning with the night after their University graduation.

How awful is it of me to want to see film mostly because I'm curious as to how much I'm going to hate it?

 I finished reading the book a couple of weeks ago, and absolutely loved it. I did however make the mistake of watching the trailer before I started reading, thankfully it didn't take me too long before I settled into it. Unfortunately watching the trailer beforehand also meant that once I'd got familiar with the characters, I became quite annoyed at the thought of Anne Hathaway playing Emma Morley - Anne Hathaway as feminist, political activist and Northern lass Emma Morley - watching the trailer alone is making me dislike her as Emma, especially with the fact that they changed her accent to quite a well-to-do southern accent (with incredibly large hints of Anne's American accent), seeing as the fact that she's Northern and working class is such a large part of her character - I thought someone like Louise Delamere or even Anna Friel would have been perfect for the role, but I suppose they wouldn't draw in the big audiences. That being said I quite like the rest of the cast - Jim Sturgess as Dexter, Patricia Clarkson as Dexter's mother and Romola Garai as Sylvie - all quite perfect.

Have you read the book? How do you feel about the adaptation and the cast? How do you feel about the casting of Anne Hathaway?


Facebook'/Bloglovin'/Twitter/Tumblr/pinterest

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I loved the book, but really am not sure I can cope with Anne Hathaway as Emma. Didn't realise that she'd made her southern either, I think that's a big loss to her character. I might not be able to go and see it, it might make me too cross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Hathaway is always a bit hit and miss for me, although right now the only things I can think of that I like her in are The Devil Wears Prada and Princess Diaries (ooh, Brokeback Mountain - but I didn't like her in that), so they aren't much to go on! I've watched the trailer a few times now and every time I get more and more annoyed about it, especially the lack of northerness!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...