Tuesday, September 13

Film Inspiration: Romeo + Juliet


Title: Romeo + Juliet
Released: 1996
Director: Baz Luhrman
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Claire Danes and John Leguizamo.

"A modern retelling of William Shakespeare's famous play of two star-crossed lovers, and their feuding families"

I can't believe that this film came out 15 years ago, is that long enough to call it a classic? Whatever, I'm calling it. 

So, this classic film, directed by Baz Luhrman was met with some controversy. Audiences (and critics) fell on two sides of a fence it was either 'hip', modern and visually stunning or "Shakespeare for dummies"; with guns, explosions, screaming and shiny things. Well, call me a dummy, because I loved it! Aside from the fact that I've mentioned far too many times how much I enjoy the concept of adapting and modernising classic literature for younger audiences - 10 Things I Hate About You, Clueless, Easy A etc. - I love this film because of how aesthetically vibrant it is. 

Set in the city of Verona, which always reminds me of places like Venice Beach, California and Miami Beach, Florida; filled with the weird and wonderful, vibrant, multi-cultural and a little bit debauched. The colours are saturated to the point that everything appears fake - glamour and wealth to the point of gaudy and trashy - and there is an abundance of religious, namely Catholic, iconography. 


All images capped/edited by me. 
Image copyright Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.

Facebook'/Bloglovin'/Twitter/Tumblr/pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...