Friday, April 13

On Display: Kensington Palace


My posts have been a little sporadic over the past couple of weeks, if you follow me on twitter you might already know why, for those who don't I can finally explain that over the past three weeks I was completing a work experience placement at Kensington Palace. During my time at the palace, I worked with the interpretation department in the build up to and during the reopening, after a two-year refurbishment.
"Interpretation is a communication process, designed to reveal meanings and relationships of our cultural and natural heritage, through involvement with objects, artifacts, landscapes and sites." - Definition of 'Interpretation' from Interpretation Canada

Possibly the Palace's most famous of it's recent residents, the Diana collection displays a few of the Princess of Wales' most iconic dresses.


In a palace which primarily focuses on it's female residents, the King's Apartments (which focuses on the Georgian monarchs) stands out as being the most grandiose and robust of all the routes. 


(see the other collections after the jump)



In contrast to the King's Apartments is the more refined and elegant Queen's Apartments, which focuses on Mary II, the last of the Stuarts.


Possibly my favourite of all the stories in the newly refurbished palace is Victoria Revealed. I've become a bit of a Queen Victoria geek since watching The Young Victoria - I couldn't tell you how many times I wandered off during my breaks to visit this route. Queen Victoria was born and grew up in Kensington Palace prior to her 63 year reign. Each room in Victoria Revealed tells a story about Victoria's life - childhood, love, work, The 1851 Great Exhibition and her mourning.


I had an amazing, rewarding time working with all the team, and visitors - it was fascinating to see behind the scenes at Kensington Palace. I will no doubt return as a visitor many times in the future!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...