Monday, May 14

Film Inspiration: Atonement


Title: Atonement
Released: 2007
Director: Joe Wright
Starring: James McAvoy, Keira Knightley, Saoirse Ronan and Romola Garai

"Fledgling writer Briony Tallis, as a 13-year-old, irrevocably changes the course of several lives when she accuses her older sister's lover of a crime he did not commit. Based on the novel by Ian McEwan."

There are a few films that despite finding them absolutely fantastic, I can't bring myself to watch them too many times (some, more than once); most recently Young Adult and Shame fit into that category, but Atonement is also on that list. It's not that I don't like the films it's just that for what ever reason I find them incredibly uncomfortable viewing. Which is really quite annoying when that discomfort applies to such an aesthetically beautiful film like Atonement.

There is a noticeable focus on nature throughout Atonement; the first half is filled with sunlight, lush greens and bold colours which wouldn't look too out of place in a Farrow & Ball paint chart, and if you hadn't noticed, it is completely filled to the brim with very English floral patterns. In contrast, the second half reflects Celia, Robbie and Briony's life in London during WWII - grim, grey and tragic. 

The thing I love most about doing these Film Inspiration posts, is that I start noticing things that I haven't previously. With Atonement, the one thing I noticed was that a lot of the close-up shots are mirrored (particularly those of Celia and Robbie).


Image Copyright Universal Studios.
All images edited by me.

1 comment:

  1. love it! Check my blog darling and maybe you wanna follow each other! XoXo

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...