Tuesday, October 16

A Letter to My 15 Year Old Self


I'm sure those older and/or wiser are amused by those younger than them when they talk about how old they are or how old they feel. I can't deny I haven't thought the same about those younger than me at most 'landmark' ages during my (yes I admit, reasonably short) lifetime. But I'm sure we can all agree that after 24 years of being a child, a teenager or in your early twenties - 25 is actually quite a scary age. 

25 is a number people round up to to make a number sound big. 25 is a default number for most things. 25 is a quarter of a century.

Now, I'm not scared of getting older. I completely embrace the thought of getting older, even the idea of getting more responsibility (I loved going away for university, because it meant I could buy the fabric softener I liked). Regardless of age, I'm a worrier. If I'm not worrying about something in particular, I'm worried about why I have nothing to worry about. Good grief, Charlie Brown! So, why is 25 so scary? Well up until now I knew what I had to worry about - GCSE's, A-Levels, University - it was all written out for me in neatly organised boxes and term time calendars. Now comes the scary part, the bit I don't know, what I won't know until, well, it's happened.

I'm 25. I'm definitely older. Hopefully I'm wiser. So, knowing what I know now, what would I tell myself 10 years ago. Me, Safiya, aged 15 years old, one month into Year 10, studying for my GCSE's?
  • Cherish your friendships, as they are right now. Some might not last past the end of school, some might not even last until the end of the year. People drift apart, simple as that. Just appreciate the friends you do have, in the moment.
  • Sleep. In the future we have IPLayer, 4OD, V+ boxes and Netflix. You will never have to stay up late again.
  • Love yourself. Not as easy as it sounds, I know, but nobody is perfect. The things you hate about yourself now, will be the things you'll learn to love the most. It's these differences that make you who you are.
  • Learn to distinguish between constructive criticism and negative remarks. If it's constructive consider it and learn from it. If it's negative move on from it, don't let it define who you are now, or who you want to become.
  • Confidence and arrogance are two very different things. There is nothing wrong with believing in your own abilities; you should not have to make yourself feel inadequate to make others feel better.
(continues after the jump)

  • Don't wish your life away. Right now you are 15 years old. You're never going to get this year back, so make the most of it whilst you're in it. Similarly, you can't change what's already happened.
  • Just because you have your whole life ahead you, does not mean that you have to make a decision as to what to do with it right now. Just work hard and enjoy the journey. Eventually you'll work out where you are going, but there's really no hurry.
  • Ask for help. Whether it's in school or at home. Until you ask for help, people will assume you're fine. You'll feel more foolish if you don't ask.
  • You'll probably hear this a lot, but boys really aren't that important right now. They probably won't ever be as important as you think they are right now, especially the one's you're choosing.
  • You were right, you haven't used a cos/sin/tan formula since leaving school. I'll give you that. But, you really aren't as bad at maths as you think you are.
  • Mostly trust yourself, and love yourself . This is your life, nobody else's. Make your own decisions (good or bad it doesn't matter - mistakes are good too), trust your instincts, stop worrying and have a little fun!
What would you tell your 15 year old self if you had the chance, would you want to say anything at all?


Facebook'/Bloglovin'/Twitter/Tumblr/pinterest

2 comments:

  1. This is great - I'm still amazed at the fact that I was 15 TEN YEARS ago, and that 25 is a proper 'grown-up age'. Scary.
    Sending birthday love & wishes your way, hope you had a fantastic day :)

    Terri-Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terri-Jane! 25 feels far too grown up for me, I filled out an application form earlier and was in a whole new age bracket (25-34)!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...