Tuesday, March 31

I Like This Video: Power of Story: Serious Ladies at Sundace 2015



(Clip from Serious Ladies at Sundance 2015 - Differentiating Between Character and Self)

I really wanted to share this discussion from this year's Sundance Film Festival, of a panel led by the New York Times' TV critic Emily Nussbaum, featuring Mindy Kaling, Lena Dunham, Jenji Kohan and Kristin Wiig.

The fascinating range of three-dimensional female characters on film and television these days suggests a sea change in the cultural zeitgeist. They’re smart, sexual, funny, and flawed; they upend expectations, thwart our sympathies, and complicate the way we talk about gender roles.

I watched the video before bed on Sunday evening, and ended not being able to sleep because I was inspired by so much of what they said. Although, at times I may find each and every one of these ladies problematic at times, I still have a huge amount of admiration and respect for their work (I'm currently rewatching The Office US, and completely forgotten how much I especially love the episodes written by Mindy). It's about an hour and a half in length, but definitely worth watching if you have the time, as they raise a lot of thought provoking discussions, Lena especially offers some incredibly well-thought out and eloquent points.

Full video below the cut





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...