Friday, April 10

Baked (Nigel Slater's Oat Crumble Cookies)


Every time I feel frustrated, stuck or a little drained I find that I naturally wander into the kitchen and start weighing flour. Particularly on days when I feel like I've not achieved much, I enjoy the satisfaction of completing, or even perfecting something. I enjoy the process. - I have been known to bake an entire tea party's worth of cakes, then go back to my computer immediately after and completely forget they are there; As soon as I am finished I feel like I have the right mindset or energy to actually do some work, or at least stare at the computer for a few more hours.


Aside from my usual bakes of lemon cake, carrot cake, brownies and fork biscuits. I also baked bread for the third time - my first time making wholemeal bread - using previous Bake Off runner-up James Morton's Brilliant Bread, which might be my new favourite cookbook, its incredibly easy to follow and breaks everything down into skill level. Following on from that, yesterday I made Nigel Slater's Oat Crumble Cookies, which may be my favourite thing that I've made recently, they taste exactly like Hobnobs and go perfectly with my mid-afternoon mug of tea.

Click through for the recipe
 
 
 
from Nigel Slater's, 'Eat'
 
Makes 8-12.

For the cookies:
 
butter 120g
light muscovado sugar 120g
an egg yolk
porridge oats 120g
plain flour 90g
baking powder ½ tsp
sea salt a large pinch

Directions

Set the oven at 180C/gas mark 4. Dice the butter and put it into the bowl of a food mixer. Add the muscovado sugar and beat till light and creamy, then mix in the egg yolk. Mix together the oats, flour, baking powder and salt.

Divide the mixture into 8-12 cookies depending on how large you want them to be. Roll into balls then flatten into roughly the diameter of a digestive biscuit and place on a baking sheet. They should be quite thick, so they remain chewy after baking.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until they are lightly coloured but not yet crisp. Remove the tray from the oven, leave to cool for a minute or two, then transfer to a cooling rack. As they cool they will crisp up.

---

Nigel Slater makes them with a lemon marscapone filling, he also suggests eating them with vanilla ice cream, but they are really nice as they are too. I used wholemeal plain flour and they worked just as well. Next time I want to try using less sugar, or maybe replacing the sugar with honey and maybe adding a little lavender.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...