Tuesday, July 7

Aesop Nottingham


You know, I make a point of always saying that I'm not really a 'beauty' person. It's not that I don't know about fancy products and special potions that do magical things, it's mostly that I don't care. I'm just a creature of habit - If I find something that works perfectly well, I'm not going to stop using it until it stops working perfectly well.

Obviously, I'm rather stuck in my ways when it comes to beauty products; I've used the same stuff for almost all my life, needless to say Johnson's, Palmer's and Vaseline feature very highly on my list of must-have beauty brands. I'm very lucky with my skin, it doesn't really do anything that I don't expect it to do and I didn't get spots as a teenager. That being said I don't neglect my skin - I drink lots of water, I cleanse/tone/moisturise, I don't smoke and I always wear SPF. Basically I do as little as possible to avoid doing a load of stuff regularly. All of this, the above, is why I was not that interested when Aesop opened their new signature store in Nottingham, located above the also new to Nottingham, Rough Trade.


My knowledge of Aesop is entirely based on images of beautifully designed stores and simple packaging, both of which are lovely to look at and nice to 'pin', but never really made me feel like I had to visit another skincare/beauty shop. Of course that all changed once I visited, from the Reverence exfoliating hand wash in the Rough Trade loos to the hand balm that greeted me at the door, I was immediately converted. 

I have a thing with skin care, which when I explain it to people they either 'get it' or they look at me completely confounded - I like things to smell 'clean'. I don't like heavy, complicated scents, I don't want to smell like someone poured golden syrup on me, then rolled me in a pile of rose petals and topped me off with a sprinkle of vanilla sugar (which most perfumes smell like to me). I like clean, fresh, one note scents. I especially like when people smell like soap or washing powder. I like things to smell clean, simple and uncomplicated. Which, from what I can gather, is kind of the point of Aesop.
Our objective has always been to formulate skin, hair and body care products of the finest quality; we investigate widely to source plant-based and laboratory-made ingredients, and use only those with a proven record of safety and efficacy. In each of our unique stores, informed consultants are pleased to introduce our range and to guide your selections. -- via Aesop
Th products are easily understood and well explained, they smell amazing and (astoundingly) they actually work - I'm sure I irritate (or make uncomfortable) everyone I know when I sample their products, because I insist on being smelt or stroked. The staff are also incredibly knowledgeable and helpful in offering suggestions on products that may best suit you, even when you wander in and start talking about 'clean' things and not particularly caring about beauty/skin care products. 

Then of course there's the design of everything - the sight of rows of neatly packaged products is incredibly satisfying; I currently have a copy of the product list sat on my bedside table, which gets annotated each time I try out a sample, so It's almost inevitable that I'm going to recreate the neat little rows on a smaller scale at home, no doubt just as obsessively curated.


You can read a little more about Aesop Nottingham here.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I try to reply to all comments left and pay a visit to any personal blogs that you link (it may take a while but I try), but if you have a direct question feel free to email me.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...